Take a fresh look at The University of Memphis Cecil C. Humphreys School of Law and discover what continues to drive us forward. Whether it's our location, faculty, diversity, success, great value or ability to make a difference in Memphis, we are delighted to share with you all that Memphis Law has to offer.
Memphis is a city known for doing things its own way and at Memphis Law, we're driven to do the same. We look at legal education differently to help you learn, grow and find success in your chosen field. Please scroll below to learn a bit more or reach out to our admissions team if you have any questions.
Your Admissions Team
Sue Ann McClellan, Assistant Dean for Law Admissions, Recruiting, & Scholarships, Phone: (901) 678-5403,
Office: Law 253
Kara Bowen, Assistant Director for Law Admissions; Phone (901) 678-5403; Office: Law 254
Penny Rogers, Administrative Assistant, Law Admissions, Phone: (901) 678-5403, Office: Law 252
- PreLaw magazine named Memphis Law as having the best law school facility in the nation! Click here to read more.
- Memphis Law's downtown location puts us within walking distance from state and federal courts, numerous government offices and law firms.
- Memphis Law hosts an average of 68 conferences, professional networking receptions,
and continuing legal education seminars every year in our building.
- Our location in the heart of downtown and the legal community allows us to develop unique and innovative partnerships throughout a variety of sectors and industries.
- Memphis is the sixth most affordable city in America, according to Forbes.
- The city has a cost of living that is 14% below the national average.
- Memphis was named the "Next Hot Southern City" by Travel & Leisure Magazine.
- The Wall Street Journal named Memphis as a Top 4 Market for Millennials with the right Live/Work/Play environment.
- Our curriculum is designed to serve both the student who has an interest or passion for a particular speciality, as well as the student who is seeking a more general legal education.
- 100% of our academic certificates incorporate hands-on learning through externships and legal clinics.
- Our small, first-year sections have just 60 students in each section.
- We have a 12:1 Faculty to Student ratio.
- 100+ law students were placed in a legal externship in Memphis last year.
- Memphis Law graduates have exceeded the Tennessee state bar passage rate for more than 15 consecutive years.
- On average, 86% of our graduates are employed within just ten months of graduation.
- There are Memphis Law alumni practicing in 48 states across the nation.
- Memphis Law students completed 10,182 pro bono service hours last year.
- Over 750 cases involving blighted buildings in Memphis were handled by students in our Neighborhood Preservation Clinic last year.
- Our Medical-Legal Partnership (MLP) Clinic handled over 40 cases last year in all five of the IHELP areas identified by the National Center for Medical Legal Partnership.
- Law students in our Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program (VITA) filed over 70 federal tax returns last year.
- Over 150 clients were helped in 2016 by students taking part in Memphis Law's Alternative Spring Break Program.
- Our 330+ students come from 86 different undergraduate institutions across the nation.
- Memphis Law was named a Top 5 Best Regional Law School for Black Students by Lawyers of Color Magazine.
- Our Tennessee Institute for Pre-Law (TIP) Program is a unique admissions by performance program for Tennessee and border county residents from diverse backgrounds and circumstances.
- Memphis Law is proud to once again be recognized as a Best Value Law School by preLaw Magazine. Click here to read more about the reasons that our law school is consistently recognized as one of the best values in legal education.
- We are the Most Affordable law school in Tennessee.
- Memphis Law is the 10th Least Expensive law school in all 50 states for non-residents.
- Sue Ann McClellan, Assistant Dean for Law Admissions, Recruiting, & Scholarships, Phone: (901) 678-5403, Office: Law 253
- Kara Phillips, Assistant Director for Law Admissions; Phone (901) 678-5403; Office: Law 252
- Alena Allen, Associate Professor and Director of Law School Diversity, Phone: (901) 678-3227
- Penny Rogers, Administrative Assistant, Law Admissions, Phone: (901) 678-5403, Office: Law 252