Welcome to the ICL Department
The mission of the Department of Instruction and Curriculum Leadership is to prepare our graduates with the content knowledge, skills and dispositions informed by teaching, research, and service, to become reflective practitioners and collaborative professional leaders within diverse settings focusing on urban education.
- Understand identities, cultures, and histories to engage communities, neighborhoods, and families.
- Promote an intentional and deliberate focus on social justice, equity and power.
- Approach teaching and learning as moral and political acts that are socially constructed and culturally mediated.
- Link theory and practice in all aspects of the preparation of educators.
- Prepare diverse educators to serve historically marginalized populations in urban and other high needs areas.
Welcome to the Instruction and Curriculum Leadership Department of The University of Memphis. We offer challenging and relevant courses and degree programs to help you reach your intellectual and professional goals. We prepare you to be a leader within your education-related setting. We work to facilitate current and engaging instruction to meet your needs in a changing world. We have 32 full-time faculty members to teach, direct, and advise you.
To apply to a program in our department, begin online at Admissions. If you have questions about a program or if you don't find what you are looking for on our site, please call us at 901.678.2365. We look forward to talking with you.
We offer one undergraduate degree--a Bachelor of Science in Education (BSED) and four graduate degrees: the Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) the Master of Science (MS), the Educational Specialist (EdS) and the Doctor of Education (EdD). We also offer certificates in Applied Behavior Analysis, Instructional Design and Technology, and Urban Education. And we offer Endorsements for Reading Specialist and School Library Specialist.