Welcome to the Department of History
When you study history at the University of Memphis, you learn from a team of talented, award-winning scholars and teachers. You absorb the diverse, important, and fascinating lessons of the human past. And you master the necessary skills to succeed in today’s economy: you think critically, research deeply, analyze complex events, and write with clarity and distinction.
Our faculty members teach courses on a wide variety of themes, time periods, and geographic regions, and they teach many of them online. We are one of the few major research universities to offer both the B.A. and M.A. degrees online.
Our graduate program offers both the M.A. and Ph.D. We have five major focus areas that define our strengths as a graduate program: African-American and Southern History; Egyptology; Global History; Modern European History; and the study of Women, Gender, and the Family.
Recent History Happenings:
- Dr. Christine Eisel delivers address at Washington Day Gala
- Dr. Beverly Bond honored at NAACP Freedom Awards and Mahogany Ball
- Rebekkah Mulholland publishes Wright State University
- Department of History cohosts the Midwest Japan Seminar
- Dr. Susan O'Donovan Reappointed as an OAH Distinguished Lecturer